Quotes

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun rises: not only because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.--C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Protestants and Catholics

     The Pope was recently in Spain for the dedication of Barcelona's basilica, the Sagrada Familia.   While there he criticized the policies of Spain's socialist government and its laws allowing homosexual marriage, fast-track divorce and easy access to abortions.  Predictably, he took a lot of criticism for his views.
     I applaud the Pope for this stand on homosexual marriage, the institution of marriage and abortion.  Evangelicals have also spoken out on this, but the Pope has tremendous worldwide stature and respect.  In my view, his voice is welcome. 
     The fact remains that there was a reason for the Protestant Reformation. Catholics and Protestants have some major theological differences, none more stark than the means of salvation.  Catholics believe in salvation through Jesus Christ plus, i.e., plus having to be a member of the Catholic Church and the faith adds works as a requirement for forgiveness of sins.   Protestants believe in salvation by grace through faith in Christ plus nothing.  These differences are non-negotiable for Protestants.
     My question is:  In light of these differences and many more, can we make common cause with Catholics on social issues such as was done with the Manhattan Declaration and still remain faithful to Scripture and to Christ?  Can we ally with Catholics in social causes such as these without damaging our message?

No comments:

Post a Comment