Quotes

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun rises: not only because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.--C.S. Lewis

Monday, November 15, 2010

Homecoming

     My oldest son Saddler came home Saturday after a year's tour in Afghanistan with the 178th Field Artillery of the South Carolina Army National Guard.  This was the unit's second combat deployment, having deployed previously to Iraq in 2005.  All of the South Carolina troops made it home safely although they did lose two soldiers from the Pennsylvania Guard who were attached to their unit.  Needless to say, it is a burden lifted from the hearts of a father and mother to have their son safely back on U.S. soil and we grieve for those whose ultimate fear has been realized. 
     The unit left Afghanistan on November the 5th, went to Kyrgyzstan, Bosnia, Maine  and on to Camp Atterbury, Indiana where they were debriefed and went through some family counseling sessions on reintegration into family life.  Having a husband away from home for  a year is extremely hard on active duty wives, but more so on National Guard wives as they don't have the built in support system of having  others around that are going through the same hardship.   While those who are not military families can sympathize, they can not possibly really know the sacrifice that is being paid to keep them free.  Not only are the troops paying a tremendous price to keep us free and safe, but the families, especially the wives are paying a steep price also.  During my Navy career, we had a saying, "Navy wife, the toughest job in the Navy", and I think during these times, its true for every branch of service.
      We were down for the welcome home ceremony at Eagle Aviation in Columbia and I am not ashamed to admit that there were tears in my eyes when the hangar doors opened and the unit marched in.  I am so proud of the sacrifice that the young men have made and to see the joy on the faces of the families at their return is almost overwhelming.
       There is one neat story, at least I think its neat, about Saddler's return.  During his deployment, we kept a lighted electric candle in our window signifying his absence.  The bulb had lasted, without replacement, throughout the deployment.  In fact it was still lit on Sunday morning when we left to go welcome him home.  Upon our return, it was out.  Now some may consider this a coincidence, but I prefer to think that it is God's way of telling us that He has been faithful to answer our prayers.
       In any event, just like Ty Pennington on Extreme Home Makeover.  There is only one thing left to say:   Welcome home, 178th, Welcome home!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment