Quotes

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun rises: not only because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.--C.S. Lewis

Monday, November 21, 2011

A Life Worth Living

Ron Morris, a sports writer for The State newspaper, recently wrote a column about Chip Mullen, a high school football player from Hilton Head High School who scored on the final play of the final game of his high school career.

Chip has Down syndrome.  Myrtle Beach's head coach, Micky Wilson, whose team was beating Hilton Head 64-10 at the time, called a time out in order to allow Hilton Head time to set up Chip's score, a pitch out in which he ran 60 yards for the score.  Chip was mobbed by players from both teams who congratulated him on the play.

Chip's story is the story of a young man who won over both his high school community and the players and fans of opposing teams who admired his tremendous desire to overcome his disability through determination and hard work.  He is a rock star in his high school, charming everyone he meets.  "The kids have embraced him", says Amanda O'Nan, the school's principal.  "The school has embraced him.

Chip has not been tardy to a single practice, has not missed a single practice during four years of playing.  He was awarded a trophy as the "most outstanding wrestler" at a 16-team meet in Savannah, winning a match against one of Battery Creek's top wrestler, who admittedly let him win because he admired him so much.

Chip is headed to Appalachian State next year with a spot as manager on the football team, offered by coach Jerry Moore who is well aware of Chip's story.

 As I read Morris' article,  I thought about the fact that currently, couples who are pregnant, are routinely encouraged to have amniocentesis, a test to see if the baby has any abnormalities.  Those parents whose child tests positive for Down syndrome are put under tremendous pressure by their pediatricians to abort.  80% do.  All because there is this notion that there are lives that are not worthy to be lived based on someone's criteria of "quality of life".  
 
Try to sell that idea to the people who have had the joy of knowing Chip Mullen.













 

No comments:

Post a Comment