Scott Cost, a local columnist in Fort Mill, SC, has published a column complaining that anyone who approaches him and brings up the subject of faith is in breach of social etiquette. It seems that Scott takes great offense at the audacity of someone who would claim to know truth and try to persuade him to a different way of thinking. I think it illustrates an age old problem of man, wanting to be his own god and not willing to submit to anyone or anything outside of himself.
I wonder if Scott would think me arrogant if we were at a social gathering and I told him not to drink the punch as I knew for certain that it was poisoned. Probably not, as he would quickly realize that I had his best interest at heart. You see, a claim to absolute truth is not arrogant in and of itself. Everyone lives their life under the basic assumption that what they believe is absolutely true. It is the same with those who spread what they consider to be the Good News of the Gospel. They assume it to be true and are so convinced that it is indeed "good news" that they want to share it with others. It is done out of love, not arrogance.
Admittedly, some Christians can come across as being arrogant, but Christianity itself is an invitation, not a command. In Matthew 11:28-29, Jesus said, "Come unto Me, all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light".
People issue invitations because they want you to share in something that they believe will be to your benefit. If Scott takes offense, it says a lot more about him than those who invite him to church or into a relationship with Christ. He is perfectly free to reject the Gospel. It is a proposal, not an imposition. .
No comments:
Post a Comment